Thursday, March 26, 2009

Healthy Parental Self Focus


I'd have to say that just about every parent I am currently working with has a big minus in their life. What is that minus, you may ask. Time for themselves. Time to not be totally focused either on work or being a parent. I know, I know....you are saying, "But Ed, when would I find the time to focus on me, to carve out time for myself, to set down the burdens of work and child rearing?" I never said it was easy....why would all of my parents not be doing it? It's just an observation.

One idea would be to think strategically, get a calendar or day planner out (or put one to use) and schedule time for yourself. 10 minutes here, 20 minutes there, perhaps even an hour somewhere else. If parents have partners they can work together to not only give each other nights off but to encourage each other to do something for themselves. Neighbors can do the same for each other.

Take a yoga class at the Y, join a book club, pray, learn some meditation techniques, go for a walk, shoot some hoops, read (but not about how to be a better parent...try a novel).......you get the point.

Balance in life is elusive but worth seeking. Some of the more saintly among us may cry foul. "We must put the children first!" etc etc. No one is suggesting abandonment here, but we do our children no favors when we abandon ourselves. Day in and day out we model for our children. That includes how we take care of ourselves. In the end parents who are able to eek out time for themselves are giving their children the gift of a more energized, focused and happier parent.

No comments: