Sunday, August 16, 2009

Time to get up.


Back to school. If you are like me there is a combination of relief and apprehension. Kids go back on a schedule and their days are presumably filled with learning, development and friend making. But we've had a great summer in the Brinson household so I am a little sorry to see it all end. Back to getting up early, making breakfast and lunches, getting the little one to the bus, carpooling the big one, making sure homework gets done, staying in touch with school, going to PTO meetings, enforcing bedtime, reading along with my first grader and paying attention. That 'paying attention' is the real hard part. It's easy to go on auto pilot once we adjust to our new schedule. But paying attention is more than half the battle. Paying attention to my children's moods, worries and performance at school. Taking advantage of whatever communication the school offers. Last year, for some reason, I dreaded looking at my son's schools website communication which had his weekly assignments and grades. It's a great tool really. This year I am committed to avoiding avoidance and facing my fears....which are usually unfounded. Usually.

No comments: